Symington Family Estates: Pioneers of Portuguese winemaking
Symington Family Estates is synonymous with world-class premium Port and the Douro Valley, being one of the leading producers within the region and the largest owner of vineyards in the Douro.
The family owns and runs four of the leading Port houses, Graham's, Dow's, Warre's, and Cockburn's, as well as being pioneers in the great red table wines of the Douro, producing wines such as Quinta do Vesuvio, the Altano range and Chryseia in partnership with the Prats family. Most recently they acquired the superb Quinta da Fonte Souto. Located in Portalegre, Alentejo’s northernmost sub-region, which is the family’s first vineyard acquisition outside their beloved Douro.
They are also founding members of the famed Primum Familiae Vini collective.
Join Anthony Symington, fifth generation Symington family member, and Decanter's Richard Mayson to explore eight wines covering five decades from this world renowned family estate.
To begin, you will taste two of their top red table wines; Quinta do Vesuvio 2017 from the Douro and Quinta da Fonte Souto Vinha do Souto Tinto 2017 from the Alentejo. 2017 will go down in history for the Symington family. It made its first ever ‘back-to-back’ general Vintage Port declaration since Andrew James Symington arrived in Porto in 1882 and, perhaps just as momentously, acquired Quinta da Fonte Souto.
This will be followed by a fascinating comparison of Graham's 20, 30 and 40 Year Old Tawny Ports culminating in a their rare limited edition Single Harvest Tawny from the famed 1994 vintage.
To finish will include two Vintage Ports - Quinta do Vesuvio 2003 and finally the iconic Warre’s 1980, which at over 40 years old, is truly in its prime.
For lovers and aficionados of Port and Portuguese wines, this tasting is not to be missed.
£85.oo masterclass wine samples (UK only) / £45.00 viewing only (includes access to all event content)
This 60 minute tasting will begin with an introduction explaining the history and philosophy of the producer followed by a tasting of their selected wines.
This masterclass has been pre-recorded in order to complement your schedule, and is available to watch, or re-watch at any time from 11 December 2021 until 10 January 2022.
Inside the tasting pack
- 8 x 75ml samples of each wine listed
- An A3 tasting mat
- An A5 tasting booklet
- A Decanter pen
To ensure that you receive samples in the best condition possible all wines will be tasted by a Decanter wine tasting expert for quality assurance before being re-bottled as samples. Bottling of the samples will take place in an anaerobic tank to eliminate oxygen contamination and sealed with a secure screwcap. Samples will be re-bottled and sent to you ahead of the masterclass.
Due to restrictions on duty and costs along with supply issues, we are not always able to offer samples for purchase to our customers outside of the UK.
Please note that the wine samples for this event are currently only available to UK residents (including Channel Islands, excluding Northern Ireland)
Anthony Symington is a fifth generation Symington family member.
The fifth generation are committed to doing their part in continuing to evolve Symington Family Estates to face the challenges and opportunities that lie in the years ahead.
Anthony is responsible for all of the family's Port brands in the UK which include Cockburn’s, Graham’s, Dow’s and Warre’s, along with the Symington Douro DOC table wines.
Anthony has also worked two full vintages as part of the winemaking team at Graham’s Quinta dos Malvedos and also at Prats & Symington Quinta de Roriz under Bruno Prats and Charles Symington.
Richard Mayson is the Regional Chair for Port & Madeira for the Decanter World Wine Awards and author of the book Port and the Douro.
Richard began his career working for The Wine Society and won the Vintner’s Company Scholarship in 1987 during his time there.
Now specialising in the wines of Iberia, especially fortified wines, he is the author of four books, including The Wines and Vineyards of Portugal, winner of the André Simon Award 2003.
Mayson writes regularly for Decanter and and lectures for the WSET Diploma and Leiths School of Food and Wine in London.
In 1999, he was made a Cavaleiro of the Confraria do Vinho do Porto in recognition of his services to the Port wine trade.
Can't get samples, but still want to watch?
For every masterclass we hold we always provide the option to watch along at home, without the need to buy samples.
We don't want you to miss out, and if you buy a 'Watch Only' ticket you'll be able to view this masterclass as well as all the other masterclasses and video content within this Decanter at Home event.
Are you a Decanter Premium member?
If you'd like to become a Decanter Premium member, you can purchase a yearly subscription from our Buy Tickets page at the discounted price of £60 (normally £75).
Get ready to unlock exclusive daily articles written by our team of wine experts. Read 1,000s of wine reviews every month and get instant access to the latest issues and back issues on the Decanter Premium App.
- Once payment has been processed and your booking confirmed you will receive an email notification to confirm delivery of your wine samples and tasting pack.
- Wine samples will be delivered by DPD. You will receive an email to confirm your delivery window at which point you are able to accept this time or change the time if absolutely necessary.
- Decanter does not take any responsibility for the wine samples once they have been delivered.
- Wine samples will not be replaced unless they have gone missing in transit.
- Wine samples are currently only available to residents in England and Wales (overnight delivery), Scotland and the Channel Islands' (two-day delivery). If you reside outside of these locations and purchase wine samples, your order will be cancelled and refunded to the payment card used for the transaction.
- Strictly over 18s permitted to purchase the wine samples.
- We have a no cancellation policy on our virtual events, however attendees may nominate an alternative person to attend up to 24 hours prior to the start of the event. This is for viewing access only and no samples will be transferred or sent. The change is at no charge, and all substitutions must be received in writing to email@example.com.
- This information is correct at time of publication, but the organisers reserve the right to change any part of the event without notice.