E Guigal’s ‘La Las’: Legendary single-vineyard Côte Rôties
Guigal is one of the leading names of the Rhône. Founded in 1946 by Etienne Guigal in Ampuis, in the heart of Côte-Rôtie in the Northern Rhône, the estate owns vineyards in some of the finest terroirs of this highly regarded appellation.
La Mouline, La Turque and La Landonne, known collectively as the ‘La Las’, are the three single-vineyard Côte-Rôtie jewels in Guigal’s crown.
La Turque is from the middle section of Côte-Brune, while La Mouline is from the heart of Côte-Blonde, and the parcel of La Landonne was planted in 1975 to celebrate the birth of Etienne’s grandson, Philippe Guigal, son of Marcel Guigal, and now estate manager and winemaker of Domaine Guigal.
One factor that makes Guigal’s La Las wines stand out is their élévage: they spend around 40 months in 100% new oak barriques. These wines are some of the longest-lived in the region, and undoubtedly some of the finest.
Philippe Guigal will be joined by Decanter’s Matt Walls to present a very special comparative tasting across each of the three ‘La Las’ from the 2017, 2016 and 2012 vintages.
£265.00 masterclass wine samples (UK only) / £45.00 viewing only (includes access to all event content)
This 60 minute tasting will begin with an introduction explaining the history and philosophy of the winery followed by a tasting of the above selected wines.
This masterclass has been pre-recorded in order to complement your schedule, and is available to watch, or re-watch at any time from 11 December 2021 until 10 January 2022.
Inside the tasting pack
- 9 x 75ml samples of each wine listed
- An A3 tasting mat
- An A5 tasting booklet
- A Decanter pen
To ensure that you receive samples in the best condition possible all wines will be tasted by a Decanter wine tasting expert for quality assurance before being re-bottled as samples. Bottling of the samples will take place in an anaerobic tank to eliminate oxygen contamination and sealed with a secure screwcap. Samples will be re-bottled and sent to you ahead of the masterclass.
Due to restrictions on duty and costs along with supply issues, we are not always able to offer samples for purchase to our customers outside of the UK.
Please note that the wine samples for this event are currently only available to UK residents (including Channel Islands, excluding Northern Ireland)
Born in 1975, Philippe represents the third generation at Domaine Guigal. He took over the winemaking reins at the domaine in 1997, after completing degrees in chemistry and biochemistry (University of Lyons) and oenology (University of Burgundy). He also holds an MS in wine management from the OIV (International Organisation of Vine and Wine) based in Paris.
Philippe works closely with his father, Marcel. The two-man team pursue their common goal: to maintain a family company while producing the finest Rhône Valley wines.
Philippe married in 2008, and he and his wife Eve have twin boys, Charles Etienne, born in 2010.
Matt Walls is an award-winning freelance wine writer and consultant, contributing regular articles to several print and online titles including Decanter, where he is a contributing editor and Rhône correspondent.
He is interested in all areas of wine but specialises in those of the Rhône – he is regional chair for the Rhône at the Decanter World Wine Awards.
His first book on wine, Drink Me!, won Best Newcomer at the 2013 Fortnum & Mason Food and Drink Awards. His second book, Wines of the Rhône, was published by Infinite Ideas as part of their Classic Wine Library series in January 2021.
Can't get samples, but still want to watch?
For every masterclass we hold we always provide the option to watch along at home, without the need to buy samples.
We don't want you to miss out, and if you buy a 'Watch Only' ticket you'll be able to view this masterclass as well as all the other masterclasses and video content within this Decanter at Home event.
Are you a Decanter Premium member?
If you'd like to become a Decanter Premium member, you can purchase a yearly subscription from our Buy Tickets page at the discounted price of £60 (normally £75).
Get ready to unlock exclusive daily articles written by our team of wine experts. Read 1,000s of wine reviews every month and get instant access to the latest issues and back issues on the Decanter Premium App.
- Once payment has been processed and your booking confirmed you will receive an email notification to confirm delivery of your wine samples and tasting pack.
- Wine samples will be delivered by DPD. You will receive an email to confirm your delivery window at which point you are able to accept this time or change the time if absolutely necessary.
- Decanter does not take any responsibility for the wine samples once they have been delivered.
- Wine samples will not be replaced unless they have gone missing in transit.
- Wine samples are currently only available to residents in England and Wales (overnight delivery), Scotland and the Channel Islands' (two-day delivery). If you reside outside of these locations and purchase wine samples, your order will be cancelled and refunded to the payment card used for the transaction.
- Strictly over 18s permitted to purchase the wine samples.
- We have a no cancellation policy on our virtual events, however attendees may nominate an alternative person to attend up to 24 hours prior to the start of the event. This is for viewing access only and no samples will be transferred or sent. The change is at no charge, and all substitutions must be received in writing to email@example.com.
- This information is correct at time of publication, but the organisers reserve the right to change any part of the event without notice.