Bonneau du Martray: One site, two Grands Crus
The wines of Bonneau du Martray are among the most exemplary expressions of Burgundy’s terroir. The domaine makes just two wines, both Grands Crus: the white Corton-Charlemagne and the red Corton, all grown on the majestic and UNESCO World Heritage Hill of Corton.
Until five years ago, the domaine had been owned by the same family for centuries. In January 2017, E Stanley Kroenke, proprietor of California’s Screaming Eagle, Jonata and The Hilt, purchased the estate, marking the beginning of an exciting new era.
Bonneau du Martray has led the way in biodynamic viticulture in Burgundy. Using ‘high precision viticulture’ has improved soil structure and vine vigour, allowing the character of the terroir to come through more clearly in the glass.
For this rare and exciting masterclass, Thibault Jacquet, Bonneau du Martray’s manager and Decanter’s Charles Curtis MW, author of The Original Grands Crus of Burgundy, will guide tasters through six wines: four vintages of Corton-Charlemagne (2019, 2017, 2015, 2009) and two Corton vintages (2019, 2009), explaining how grape, nature and man come together to perfectly capture a terroir, time and place.
£295 masterclass wine samples (UK only) / £45.00 viewing only (includes access to all event content)
This 60 minute tasting will begin with an introduction explaining the history and philosophy of the winery followed by a tasting of the above selected wines.
This masterclass has been pre-recorded in order to complement your schedule, and is available to watch, or re-watch at any time from 11 December 2021 until 10 January 2022.
Inside the tasting pack
- 6 x 75ml samples of each wine listed
- An A3 tasting mat
- An A5 tasting booklet
- A Decanter pen
To ensure that you receive samples in the best condition possible all wines will be tasted by a Decanter wine tasting expert for quality assurance before being re-bottled as samples. Bottling of the samples will take place in an anaerobic tank to eliminate oxygen contamination and sealed with a secure screwcap. Samples will be re-bottled and sent to you ahead of the masterclass.
Due to restrictions on duty and costs along with supply issues, we are not always able to offer samples for purchase to our customers outside of the UK.
Please note that the wine samples for this event are currently only available to UK residents (including Channel Islands, excluding Northern Ireland)
Growing up in Burgundy meant Thiabult became very familiar with the working life of a vineyard from an early age. Having studied Business & Law and Marketing and Management at university, he soon turned his attention to the wine world by attending the Burgundy School of Business to study wine and spirits management. This brought many opportunities, which saw Thiabult follow his career spending time in Champagne and Asia before returning to his homeland of Burgundy.
Following the acquisition in January 2017 of Domaine Bonneau du Martray by Stanley Kroenke, Thibault joined the Burgundian estate marking the beginning of an exciting new era for this great domaine.
Charles Curtis MW
New York-based Charles Curtis became a Master of Wine in 2004 and is the former head of wine for Christie’s in the Americas and Asia.
He is the author of The Original Grand Crus of Burgundy and writes extensively for Decanter on the wines of Burgundy, Champagne, Oregon and New York State.
Curtis is in demand as a public speaker on wine and food, and advises private, trade and institutional clients on fine wine and the auction trade through his company WineAlpha.
Can't get samples, but still want to watch?
For every masterclass we hold we always provide the option to watch along at home, without the need to buy samples.
We don't want you to miss out, and if you buy a 'Watch Only' ticket you'll be able to view this masterclass as well as all the other masterclasses and video content within this Decanter at Home event.
Are you a Decanter Premium member?
If you'd like to become a Decanter Premium member, you can purchase a yearly subscription from our Buy Tickets page at the discounted price of £60 (normally £75).
Get ready to unlock exclusive daily articles written by our team of wine experts. Read 1,000s of wine reviews every month and get instant access to the latest issues and back issues on the Decanter Premium App.
- Once payment has been processed and your booking confirmed you will receive an email notification to confirm delivery of your wine samples and tasting pack.
- Wine samples will be delivered by DPD. You will receive an email to confirm your delivery window at which point you are able to accept this time or change the time if absolutely necessary.
- Decanter does not take any responsibility for the wine samples once they have been delivered.
- Wine samples will not be replaced unless they have gone missing in transit.
- Wine samples are currently only available to residents in England and Wales (overnight delivery), Scotland and the Channel Islands' (two-day delivery). If you reside outside of these locations and purchase wine samples, your order will be cancelled and refunded to the payment card used for the transaction.
- Strictly over 18s permitted to purchase the wine samples.
- We have a no cancellation policy on our virtual events, however attendees may nominate an alternative person to attend up to 24 hours prior to the start of the event. This is for viewing access only and no samples will be transferred or sent. The change is at no charge, and all substitutions must be received in writing to email@example.com.
- This information is correct at time of publication, but the organisers reserve the right to change any part of the event without notice.